Monday, April 16, 2012

Thing #54

For this assignment, I chose to create a video with Xtranormal. 

What I liked about Xtranormal -
  • It was easy to figure out.
  • It was really fast to do.  I had a finished video in just a few minutes.
  • I didn't have to get anything ready before hand, like make sure I had the pictures uploaded that I needed.
  • I made the video, but I didn't have to be IN it, or try to recruit someone else to be in it.
What I didn't like about Xtranormal -
  • The point system.  If you're gonna be free, be free.  If you want people to pay, then just have them pay from the get go.  I had the points to make my video, share it via facebook, twitter, links, etc., but it wouldn't let me download a copy because I didn't have enough points.
  • The voices are computer generated and pretty cheesy.  They don't pause in the right places or make inflections like real people do. Although, to me, the goofy voices make it kind of charming.
I can see quite a few uses for this, mainly for online advertising via YouTube, Facebook or Twitter.  You could make a quick little video promoting a library program or new service then post it.  It would be something different, something fresh, and might catch people's attention in a way that an uploaded flyer wouldn't.  It would also be fun to try doing animated booktalks this way.

This was a fun Thing, and here's my video!


2 comments:

  1. Love it! Especially the fact that you were promoting snapshot week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! I love the cherry blossoms and panda. :) Yes, I agree, the 'freeness' could use some work. It's not as free as it could be. A good way to get your feet wet, I think, and then decide if it's something to commit some funds to.

    ReplyDelete