Thursday, August 11, 2011

CPD 23 - Thing 10 & 11


Why libraries?
Well, like many other librarians I know, I joined the library world quite by accident. I have always loved reading and learning, but I didn't grow up using the library much. I really started using the library in college (they had a computer lab!), but never thought about it as a career. After I got my BA in Sociology and English, I managed a group home for adults with disabilities. It was a wonderful opportunity for me, and one that touched my life very deeply, but it was also a job I was totally unprepared for and one that demanded 24/7 attention. After about 18 months I was completely exhausted and emotionally drained. I shed some tears, okay, a lot of tears, then quit the job. My PLAN was to go back to school and get my MEd and become a high school English teacher. Well, about the same time that I got into grad school, my husband got laid off. We were prepared to live off one income when I quit my job, but living off zero income? Not really possible. We both applied for jobs to anywhere that had doors open. Long story short, about 6 months later the local public library offered me a part-time Children's Library Associate job. I took it, loved it, and never looked back.

How on earth did I get here?
I went from part-time to full-time, then from Associate to Youth Services Coordinator at that same library. (Shout out to Franklin-Springboro Public Library in Ohio!) There, I met some of the most wonderful people/librarians who served not only as mentors to me as a fledgling librarian, but who are among my dearest friends. I quickly decided to get my MLIS and went through Kent State University's distance learning program. I then became the Children's Team Leader at the Middletown Public Library in Ohio. I was really torn about leaving my first library job, but I was anxious for an opportunity to work in a larger library. And really, isn't middle management everyone's dream job? Seriously though, I had the opportunity to work with some really incredible people there. My fellow Team Leaders, Donna and Stella, were amazing mentors to me. They had completely different management styles so I got to learn from them both and really found my own style through their guidance. After being there for about 4 years, the job opening for the Director of the Northeast Library System came up. By this time, I had two small children and the thought of returning to my home state and living near my family was an opportunity I couldn't resist. I've been back here in Nebraska for a year and half now and am enjoying my job tremendously.

What next?
I have no idea. I believe in being open to the opportunities that life presents, and beyond that, I know better than to try to plan the future!

More on Mentors
As I mentioned above, I have been very lucky to have had several mentors thus far. None were formal arrangements. They just grew organically out of the relationship I had with these people. I have found them unbelievable valuable in the development of my professional career and my own personal growth. I am deeply grateful for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment