Wednesday, August 10, 2011

CPD 23 - Things 8 & 9

Thing 8 - Google Calendar
I currently use Google Calendar to manage my schedule. I like it because I can access it anywhere, including on my Blackberry. What I don't like is the sharing functionality. The choices are to share it individually with people who also use Google Calendar or to publish it publicly, announcing your schedule to the entire world. I WISH that I could send people a link to my calendar and they could view it - not edit it - whether they use Google Calendar or not. Just because I find it a useful tool doesn't mean that everyone else will and I hate that having your own Google calendar is a requirement to see someone else's.

Thing 9 - Evernote
I've been using Evernote for a few months now, and although I don't make a ton of use of it, I have been using it on a regular basis for a few things. When I come across something that I think would make a good gift idea, I save it in Evernote, because by the time holidays and birthdays roll around I've totally forgotten about the amazing/cute/original thing I saw that I wanted to get for someone. Same with reading lists - I love getting suggestions for what to read next, and I've been keeping these in Evernote. I still have scraps of paper tacked on my bulletin board and buried at the bottom of my purse, but hey, it's a start.

2 comments:

  1. "I WISH that I could send people a link to my calendar and they could view it - not edit it - whether they use Google Calendar or not."

    Isn't that exactly what making your calendar public does?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, but I don't want it to be PUBLIC public, just share it with people I want to share it with.

    ReplyDelete