Tuesday, August 9, 2011

CPD 23 - Thing 7

My experiences with professional associations have been, well, quite limited until very recently. I have been a member of ALA for about 8 years and I like the idea of being connected to a national organization. I only started getting involved recently by going to the national conference the last two years and then by joining the Learning Round Table. I am hoping to get active in this Round Table in some way, but as of yet haven't had the opportunity to do so.

On a regional level, I'm a member of MPLA (Mountain Plains Library Association), but I haven't been involved with this organization at all since joining last year. I've looked into a few of the scholarships or grants they offer, but you have to be a member for at least two years in order to apply. I think this is quite counterproductive and pretty unfriendly.

On a state level, I'm a member of NLA (Nebraska Library Assocation) and I've been active in this group since I arrived back in Nebraska last year. Last year I presented at two sessions at the fall conference and will be presenting at two more at this year's conference. I'm currently the chair of the Publicity Committee and am running for Vice-Chair of the Public Library & Trustee Section. I've enjoyed being involved on a state level. I've enjoyed getting to know more librarians through NLA and being involved in something that benefits librarians across our whole state.

Overall, I think that as more and more of our interaction goes online that real face-to-face interactions will get fewer and farther between. I find it rewarding to have both online and "real world" interactions with people. I enjoy keeping up with people online in between the times when I get to see them in real life.

No comments:

Post a Comment